Background In November 2017, a flood hit Penang. The local churches seek assistance from CREST and CREST responded in clean-up and distribution operations at Zoo Road Ayer Itam, distribution of wardrobe furniture to residents of Taman Senangin Prai as well as donation of school tables and chairs to SJKC Chung Hwa 3, Prai.
1) To visit and follow up on residents of Zoo Road, Ayer Itam who had received Senheng Cash Vouchers but have not used them.
2) To visit and follow up on residents of Taman Senangin, Prai who had received wardrobe furniture from CREST.
3) To visit and follow up on representative of SJKC Chung Hwa 3 regarding tables and chairs received from CREST for the students.
4) To meet and network with various church representatives to set up disaster related training sessions for 2019.
Team Leader : Edward Tan
Treasurer : Edward Tan
28/10/18 Arrive in Penang from KL. Check in accommodation at Jelutong Chinese Methodist Church.
29/10/18 Meeting with Mdm. Quek of SJKC Chung Hwa 3 in the morning. Visit residents at Taman Senangin in the afternoon. Meeting with Chu Poh of PCC to network and plan for training sessions in 2019.
30/10/18 Meeting with Rev. Chiam and Pastor Samuel of Jelutong Chinese Methodist Church. Visit St. Joseph Orphanage which had received wardrobes.
31/10/18 Visit and follow up with residents of Zoo Road
1/11/18 Meeting with Pastor Saravanan of Tamil Methodist Church Prai. Joint network meeting between CREST, TMC, PCC, Trinity Methodist Church and JCMC to discuss training plans for 2019 and assess strengths and make preparation in the event of another flood.
2/11/18 Meeting with Pastor Liew Yean Huat of GBC to discuss plans for 2019.
3/11/18 Flight from Penang to KL.
Activities 1. Follow Up with SJK (C) Chung Hwa 3, Prai.
Picture 1 & 2 : Primary 4 students using the donated waterproof tables and chairs.
The school was very grateful to receive these tables and chairs.
“Thank you for bringing joy to the children” - Mdm. Quek (PK of SJKC Chung Hwa 3)
Various residents in Taman Senangin, Prai who had received wardrobes from CREST. A large part of these residents are from Myanmar. They greeted our CREST representative very warmly as they recalled what CREST had done for them earlier this year.
1. Continue to develop Penang’s flood resilience by providing training to various churches including Jelutong Chinese Methodist Church, Penang Christian Centre, and Trinity Methodist Church. The training will be a joint training between the churches.
2. Provide disaster (fire and flood) training and awareness program for children, parents and teachers with SJK (C) Chung Hwa 3 , Prai.
Submitted by Edward Tan Date: 05-November-2018